Thursday, June 24, 2010

Mighty Rabid Racoon

My new hospital owns a house here in town that is used for temporary housing of different people. This house just became vacant and I went to see what we needed to do to get it back ready for occupancy. When I drove up a raccoon came down a tree with a very small baby raccoon in its mouth and walked directly toward me - broad daylight. I've always read that this is very unusual behavior and that their is a high likelihood it is rabid. This animal walked directly toward me to a point of being 6 to 8 foot away when it calmly turned and walked through the yard and up another tree - baby in tow. I was telling some folks at work and they told me that the family that lived there before had left a note to the next tenants to please feed the raccoons and their names. Apparently they had turned them into wild pets. So much for the rabid theory.